Saturday, March 14, 2015

Day 2 Reflections: Austin



This is a really blurry picture of the tomb of St. Paul. How cool is that? St. Paul is a great Saint and Martyr. He was amazingly converted from being a man who hunted down Christians to being one of their most ardent and heroic members.

So why couldn't I take a better picture? Because a guard was looking at me with that "Hey you stupid tourist no photography in here" kind of look and I panicked. In a way, that's exactly what I want to reflect on. 

I did not come here to be a tourist. I came here to be a pilgrim, and I have a strong desire to act like one. It was a fantastic day. I saw St. Peter's Basilica up close for the first time and St. Paul's Outside the Walls along with many other great little stops. But for the most part, I did it as a tourist. I spent way too much time shopping for rosaries. My prayers were shallow and short. I was mostly in that "ooooh so pretty" kind of mindset of the average American in Rome with a selfie stick (only I will never use a selfie stick). Dont get me wrong, I had a great day. But tomorrow, I'm gonna do it better. 

Tomorrow, I'm going to be a pilgrim. 

God Bless, Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment