Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Meet Our Pilgrims: Austin Miller

Ever since I was a little boy, I've hoped that there was some kind of greater world out there. A world far beyond my tiny existence as a grade school student. A world where, everyday, the forces of good and evil would line up to confront each other on a battlefield. I would often imagine myself as a soldier on this battlefield. I was a superhero that fought for God. I spent hours in these daydreams and hoped with all my heart that I could maybe one day do something as amazing and important as I did in my daydreams. That was then.

Now I know where that desire came from. As my experience grew, I found that this world, that I before only dreamed about, was the same world I lived in. I've learned that there is a battlefield. One that is often more spiritual than physical, but nonetheless great in its importance. 

My name is Austin Miller, I am a senior at Strake Jesuit, and I have a tremendous respect for the priesthood. I've come to recognize these men as the good guys. The people who live for other people. The ones that would lay their lives down for the sake of the God who laid His life down for us. 

I don't remember when I first considered becoming a priest. Only after I entered high school did I even recognize the possibility. I just know that once the idea found its way into my mind, it refused to go away. After I began helping with the confirmation program at my parish, it began to grow. I started to realize that I was most happy when I was working for the church. At school, I met the best friends I've ever had working on retreats like Kairos and Freshman Retreat. But I've come to realize that there are deeper reasons that I love retreat life. I love talking about Jesus. I love seeing what He does to people. I am only 18, and I have seen amazing things because of God. I can only imagine what He might show me in a lifetime. 

Going to Rome, for me, is a dream come true. I have read so many stories and seen so many pictures, but I've never been. For me, its like the capital of the world. It's the leadership of the Church that I have fallen so deeply in love with over the last few years. People keep asking me if I'm "ready." No. Gosh no. I'll never be ready. Like, I'll make sure to pack enough pants but there is no avoiding that I'm going to be absolutely blown away. I don't think I'm ever going to be prepared for this great of a trip, but I'm going in a week anyway. That's something I can be excited about.

I am so grateful to everyone who helped fund this trip. It would not be possible without the selflessness of hundreds of benefactors. Thank you for funding the priesthood. Thank you for believing in a dream, for believing that this church has a bright and dynamic future. My prayer is that your generosity finds its way back to you. But most of all, thank you to everyone who is praying for us. Discernment for the priesthood is an amazing and terrifying experience, we need all the help that we can get.

So, again, my name is Austin. I am 18. And I can think of nothing that I would rather do with my life, than to become a Roman Catholic Priest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment